I'm a slow reader - get over it // The Reader's Review


Right, I obviously love reading. I love books. I just love paper in general (seriously you should see how many empty notebooks I've got and my ever mounting TBR pile).

Despite this passion, I am a slow reader. I struggle to get through one or two books a month, and sometimes I don't even achieve that. This is not due to lack of interest or laziness, but the simple fact that I am SLOW. I mean, my attention span isn't the greatest either because my brain works a million miles an hour, but when I'm reading, I'm reading. I know for other people a few hours means the start and finish of a whole book, but for me it's just a few chapters.

Being a Bookstagrammer can put a lot of pressure on people to be superhuman readers. When I see some peoples end of month book hauls that include 8 physical books, 3 audio books, 2 novellas and a poem, I just think, WHAT IS THIS MAGIC. Bookstagram, of all places, can make me feel more like a muggle than anywhere else.

I think it's incredible (and slightly terrifying, in a good way) that some people can steam through books with no issues; I wish I could do the same. But I just want to ask - stop the judgement. I speak for all slower reader's here - just because my end of year haul is significantly less than yours, it doesn't diminish my commitment to literature. I've always loved reading, and I've always been a constant reader. There has never been a point in my life when someone asked me the question 'What are you reading lately?' and  I didn't have an answer for them.

I think what I am trying to say is, be kind to your fellow reader's. Reading is meant to be enjoyable after all, and it's also the one past-time/pleasure which I think shouldn't be treated like a sport. We don't need to compete against one another. Reading is for your own personal growth and entertainment, and you should go at your own pace. We're all wizards who are capable of greatness - with one book at a time.

Are you a slow or fast reader? How many books, typically, can you get through each month? What is your reading record? Let me know in the comments.

7 comments

  1. I am also a slow reader and not ashamed of it. Thank you for posting this, Lexi. ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be ashamed! As long as you're enjoying yourself! It's the same book whether its read fast or slow ;)

      Delete
  2. I was so afraid of being the only one one reading just one or two books a month. I don't know why, but I felt (ans still feel) like if I am not able to read a lot, I must be a fake reader. But posts like yours is such a relief ! Thanks a lot, I feel less lonely ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there is a lot of stigma for it, not sure why! Its the same book whether you read it within one week or one month. Savour the words my friend xx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are a small book label. We think books and writing are. an artform. Good books take time to read and to understand. It's supereasy to read 3 shallow books a day and - no offence - most bookbloggers are not into literature. So we very much appreciate your slow reading. And thanks for this blogpost.
    All the best
    the redbugx

    ReplyDelete